Time is money.
And when you are a solopreneur it is even more important that you make the most of the time you have.
I am all for outsourcing but before you do so I always recommend automating as much as possible. No reason to pay someone for a very basic task if a tool can save you time and money.
Zapier is an online automation tool that connects your favorite apps. They currently have over 1,000 web apps connected that you can create automations with. The possibilities are just about endless.
So how does Zapier work?
Zapier is actually very easy to use. They even have a ton commonly used Zaps to choose from and make your own. But here is the basic lingo and how it works.
A Zap is what the automated workflow is called. (Cute right?)
A Zap starts with a trigger – think about the action that needs to happen to start the workflow.
Once it is triggered it takes an action.
Simple as that.
Here is an example: When a new lead comes into Dubsado add it to a list in ConvertKit.
I already mentioned that Zapier has over 1,000 integrations but I wanted to share with you some of the most popular apps that work with it!
- G-Suite // Gmail, Google Calendar, Google Sheets, Google Drive, Google Form and more
- Social Media // Facebook Pages, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest and more
- Scheduling // Calendly, Acuity Scheduling, YouCanBook.Me, SimplyBook and more
- Project Management // Asana, Trello, ClickUp, Podio, Wrike and more
- Email Marketing // ConverKit, ActiveCampaign, MailerLite, MailChimp, Mad Mimi and more
- And so much more!
What Can I Automate with Zapier?
It is easy to see the list of tools and get overwhelmed. So I wanted to share some of my favorite ways to automate with Zapier
- Save new Gmail attachments to Google Drive // Whenever you get a new email in Gmail with an attachment, set up this Zap to save it to a Google Drive folder of your choice.
- Create a new folder on Google Drive when a Dubsado invoice is paid // Do you create Google Drive folders for every client you work with? Save time and have the folder created automatically!
- Save new leads from a CRM to your email marketing provider // Say you get a new lead in Dubsado, well you can automatically add them to a list in say ConvertKit. (Remember to pay attention to email marketing laws, but I know some people use their email marketing provider to send out their lead nurture sequence rather than regular email).
- Save your Instagram posts to Google Drive // Do you take amazing photos on your photo fro Instagram? Well, you can set up so that after you post on Instagram, the image is uploaded to Google Drive. This is great because it will be a lot less cluttered than your phone storage!
- Add new Acuity Scheduling appointments to Asana // I always forget to add in my calls for the day in Asana, so it usually looks like I have a whole lot less going on than I actually do. With this one, you can have a task automatically created so you will never forget an appointment again!
- Add new WooCommerce customers to ActiveCampaign as new contacts // I love this one because it allows you to add your customers into your email marketing platform automatically so you can start delivering your welcome or onboarding series – giving your customers extra value.
- Get daily text reminders to drink more water // Okay so not productivity related but being healthy leads is just as important! I know you could just set up a daily alarm but I usually ignore and just turn them off. A text is much more exciting!
How to Use Zapier to Save Time in Your Business
- Think about the manual tasks you over and over again // These are what we want to automate in Zapier
- Map out each step of the process // This is so when you create your zaps you know exactly what you need to do. I should mention that on the free version of Zapier you only get two-step zaps and you are limited to how many times it will run a month. So if you are using this for things that happen all the time, I highly recommend the Starter plan which is only $20 a month and allows you to have 20 zaps running at once and automation 1,000 things! It is totally worth it!
- Create your zaps // Create and test each one of your tasks that you want to automate. Don’t worry, testing is built right in. Definitely don’t skip it!
- Sit back and enjoy! // Just let them go! It is always nice to spot check occasionally to make sure there are no issues but really it is a set it and forget it type of thing.