In today’s episode, we’re talking with Julia Bocchese all about SEO for small businesses.
Why is SEO important for small businesses?
SEO helps you reach your ideal client who is searching for your services.
Think about it, even if you have 10,000 followers on social media, it doesn’t mean that they are all interested in hiring you.
Keyword Research Tips
Keyword research can be overwhleming at first, but it doesn’t have to be.
You can simply start out by typing into Google Search or Pinterest and see what people are searching for.
You can even ask your audience what they are searching for!
Keyword Research Tools
- Google Search Console
Where should we be using our keywords?
Make sure keywords are on your homepage, including your title tag.
For blog posts, make sure you use it in your title, once or twice throughout your post, if it makes sense in your header, etc.
BUT don’t force it.
Also be sure to focus on keyword variations, if you use Yoast they will not recognize it, so don’t fully rely on it.
Be sure to focus on the reader, because Google is smarter than that!
What other factors do we need to consider for SEO that are often overlooked?
- An SSL Certificate is important for SEO. It is what makes your site secure. It changes your URL from http:// to https://.
- Site speed is important. Google is really emphasizes user experience. A big part of this is image size! Page Speed Insights and GTmetrix are great resources to determine this.
- Title Tags and Meta Descriptions are key. These are what show up when someone sees your site on the Google search results page. If these are not filled out, Google will just autofill this! You don’t want that.
Simple things to do today for SEO!
- Check your title tags and meta descriptions
- Make sure you have Google Analytics and Google Search Console set up
- Make sure you have no indexing errors on Google Search Console
- Submit your XML sitemap to Google Search Console
- Check for broken links
- Make sure your site is optimized for mobile
How often should we perform an SEO audit?
Check your website on a monthly basis after you do a SEO overhaul.
If you aren’t making the headway you looking for, or it looks like something is broken, then it is time to do another full site SEO audit.
Share with us your top takeaway from today’s episode.